A sit-in- demonstration was held today infront of Vanapa Hall for Ronia, an alleged rape victim on 28th of February,2022.
According to the press statement made by Mizoram Gorkha Youth Association,on 28.02.2022, Ronia was sexually assaulted and threatened to silence by a colleague. The accused is Suresh Chand Meena, a resident of Dausa, Rajasthan, who works as a primary school teacher in Kendriya Vidyalaya School, Tanhril. Aside from raping her, the accused has threatened to kill her if she discloses the news to anyone. According to the press release statement, the victim has been hospitalized and was diagnosed with severe depression and that she was scarred physically and emotionally.
Suresh Chand Meena, the accused was immediately arrested and jailed but has requested for a bail which the Gorkha Youth Association strongly opposes to.
On 5th March 2022, Mizoram Gorkha Youth Association and Women's Association has issued a Press Release statement regarding the matter . An emergency meeting was held and they have demanded a serious penalty towards the offender under the law. The Association urged the Judiciary to refuse his bail for this serious offence and that he be removed from his job.
Hundreds of Gorkha and Mizo youths gathered in front of Vanapa Hall today for a sit-in demonstration, demanding justice for Ronia. The objectives of today's sit -in demonstration are as follows:
1. To condemn the act of rape and attempt to murder
2. Request the judiciary that bail be denied and the accused be given maximum sentence.
3. Request the authorities of Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangthan (KVS) to terminate the accused employment’s service.
4. Show solidarity to the victim and her family in these tough times.
5. Spread awareness about the crime that was committed in Mizoram.
6. Bring the citizens together to build a better future and assure a safe environment for women.